Commonly, the hush puppies recipe is famous almost everywhere. And, when it’s about the Long John Silvers hush puppies recipe, no doubt left behind. Long John Silver’s is one of the world’s best American restaurants.
You also can abbreviate it LJS. This restaurant is specialized in delivering seafood items the most. However, the hush puppies recipe is one of its top-popular items as a side dish.
Making this recipe at home is easy due to its simple ingredients and irresistible flavor. It has a trouble-free cooking process. So, you can make this highly remarkable recipe anytime. And can enjoy this recipe either as a side dish or snack to meet your hunger.
In this article, we’ll guide you to learn the Long John Silvers hush puppies recipe with ease. Stay Tuned!
As You Read On
- 1 Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Ingredients
- 2 How to Cook Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe?
- 3 Best Courses
- 4 How to Cook Frozen Hush Puppies?
- 5 Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe
- 6 Conclusion
Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Ingredients
It’s a quick yet delicious recipe to make a quick snack. Also, you can use this recipe as a side dish during dinner. With very few ingredients, you can get your dinner ready.
Ingredients You Need
Flour (¼ Cup)
Any type of flour is perfect for making this recipe. You can use all-purpose, almond, or buckwheat flour for hush puppies.
Cornmeal (½ Cup)
Using cornmeal can help you get your recipe a dense structure. It will work as a thickening substance in the LJS hush puppies recipe. So, take ½ cup of cornmeal.
Take 1 egg to add to the liquid mixture.
Garlic Salt (1 tsp)
Rather than using regular salt, garlic salt will bring you some health benefits. It works as a vasodilator which is helpful for patients with High Blood Pressure. Therefore, we suggest taking 1 tsp of garlic salt.
Onion (1 tsp)
Take grated 1 tablespoon if it’s grated, but if you prefer powder, 1 tsp is enough.
Buttermilk (¼ Cup)
You need egg and buttermilk to make a liquid mixture. Here, to make the LJS hush puppies recipe, you should take ¼ cup of milk.
Baking Powder (1tsp)
The baking powder makes the balls soft, fluffy, light, and airy. Therefore, take 1 tsp of baking powder for this recipe.
Paprika (¼ tsp)
Take ¼ paprika to taste and smell better. But it’s optional.
Vegetable/ Olive Oil (1 ½ Cups)
Take vegetable or olive oil, whatever you have in your kitchen. Take 1 ½ cups of oil to fry the balls.
Sparkling Water (2 Tablespoon)
You also require 2 tablespoons of sparkling water.
How to Cook Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe?
The hush puppies are a kind of deep-fried cornmeal balls. These balls are made of flour, baking powder, cornmeal, salt, and sugar. And the balls are designed in meatball size and shape.
This recipe is particularly used as a side dish with different types of seafood in the Long John Silver’s restaurant. Here’s how to make it-
Take flour and egg and mix them in a mixing bowl. You can either mix these ingredients with your hands or a whisk.
Now add sparkling water and buttermilk and keep stirring. Ensure the mixture is getting smoother.
Once these 4 ingredients are mixed well, add paprika, cornmeal, and garlic salt. Keep combining them well.
Add your grated onion and keep mixing. It will become a nice batter to make the LJS hush puppies recipes.
Preheat the frying pan to 400° F and add vegetable oil. This time drop the batter into the frying pan. Drop the batter in a scoop and give 4 or 5 scoops simultaneously. You cannot give all the batter at the same time. In this case, fry in a batch.
Fry for 6 minutes each batch. Let each ball become brown, and don’t forget to flip up mid-way of frying. When the balls are brown, transfer them to a plate. And fry the next batch with the rest batter.
Use an absorbent paper towel to remove the extra oil from the hush puppies’ balls. Place the paper towel on the plate before you put the balls.
You can use your LJS hush puppies recipes with the following main courses-
- Fried Chicken
- Beer-Battered Fish
- Homemade Fish Sticks
- Coconut Shrimp
- Crab Cakes
How to Cook Frozen Hush Puppies?
Frozen hush puppies mean the store-bought item. So you’ll get the batter ready and already shaped in balls. In this case, you need not do any additional job. Just as simple as we instruct below-
- Preheat your air fryer to 390° F and add little oil. If you want to avoid using oil, that will also be alright.
- Now put the hush puppies in your air fryer in a single layer. Ensure enough space between the puppies. If the puppies are many, go for batch frying. Let them fry for 15 minutes
- Flip up the puppies halfway. Now when these are golden brown, remove them from the air fryer. Your frozen puppies’ recipe is ready to eat.
What is A Good Dipping Sauce for Hush Puppies?
You can use the dipping sauce as you like because there are no specific types. Still, we’re sharing the 5 best dipping sauces to increase the taste. For example, Ranch Dressing, Honey Mustard, Hot Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, and Barbeque Sauce.
Can I Make Hush Puppies with Jiffy Cornbread Mix?
Yes, you can! Jiffy cornbread mix can be an excellent substitute for the mixture you make with the following-
- Vegetable Oil
- Baking Powder
How to Reheat Hush Puppies?
It’s simple. Preheat your oven to medium heat. Put the hush puppies in a raw design. Ensure they aren’t sticking together. Reheat for 6 minutes. And you’re done.
Long John Silver’s Hush Puppies Recipe
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp Onion
- ¼ Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Paprika
- 1 ½ Cups Vegetable/ Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sparkling Water
- Mix flour and egg in a mixing bowl
- Add sparkling water and buttermilk and keep stirring
- Now add paprika, cornmeal, and garlic salt
- Add your grated onion and keep mixing
- Preheat the fry pan to 400° F
- Put vegetable oil and let it hot
- Drop the batter in a scoop and give 4 or 5 scoops at a time
- Fry for 6 minutes
- Put an absorbent paper towel on the plate before you put the hush puppies
- The recipe is ready to serve and eat with your favorite dish
- You also can use it as a snacks
- The LJS hush puppies can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. But you have to reheat them before eating.
- Try keeping the ingredient measurements accurate and equal. Or else the hush puppies will fall apart.
- If you use excessive flour, the puppies will be dense and heavy. And these balls will seem bread like.
- Use an air-tight bag while refrigerating the hush puppies. It will allow you to store them for up to 3 months.
You can enjoy the popular Long John Silver’s hush puppies recipe at home. It’e incredible. The hush puppies play the best as snacks to meet small parties or feast time. Its easy-to-collect ingredients and easy-to-cook cooking process are perfect for any age cook.
Long John Silvers Hush Puppies is a simple recipe to cook and enjoy your appetite. You can enjoy many easy snacks or side dishes with the main course from breakfast to dinner.