When you want your simple plate of rice with extraordinary decoration, you might think of the snow on the Mountain recipe. Making this snow on the Mountain dish is as easy as your regular recipes.
Here, you’ll have to take a plate of rice and cover it with a pile of toppings like chicken, shredded coconut, and sauces. And adding this shredded coconut gives the dish an appearance like snow on the mountain.
This is why this dish is called the snow on the Mountain recipe. It’s one of the most traditional dishes in the USA. So, don’t miss trying this amazing dish at home.
As You Read On
- 1 Snow on The Mountain Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Snow on The Mountain?
- 3 Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- 4 Snow on the Mountain Recipe || Have Chicken with Rice in A Different Way
- 5 Conclusion
Snow on The Mountain Ingredients
You need a lot more ingredients and spices to prepare this snow-on-mountain platter. However, all these spices and ingredients are pantry. So, these all are very easy to collect before your cooking time. The ingredients you need are-
Rice & Water (1 ½ & 2 ¼ Cups Respectively)
The primary ingredient in cooking this recipe is uncooked rice. Because you’ll add the other ingredients on top of the rice. So, take 1 ½ cups of rice and 2 ¼ cups of water to cook your rice.
Chicken Broth (2 Cups)
To make your dish delicious, you should use 2 cups of chicken broth. If you’re in a rush and have no time to make chicken broth, use water instead.
Chicken Thighs ( 2 Lbs)
Applying the boneless chicken thighs will help you shred the flesh quickly. Besides, you will get more flesh, and they will make your recipe more tender and moist. Boneless chicken thighs can also spread lots of flavors. Therefore take 2 lbs of chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
Chicken Seasoning (1 Tsp)
Seasoning will bring an extra flavor that will make your dish more delicious. So, take 1 tsp of chicken seasoning.
Black Pepper & Garlic Powder (½ Tsp Each)
You’ll also need ½ tsp of black pepper powder and ½ tsp of garlic powder.
Cornstarch (3 Tsp)
Adding cornstarch will make the chicken mixture with other ingredients thick and smooth. So, take 3 tsp of cornstarch.
White Salt / Kosher Salt (1 Tsp/ ½ Tsp)
If you apply the regular white salt, take 1 tsp full. But for the kosher salt, you need only ½ tsp. We prefer adding kosher salt as it spreads a nice flavor.
Adding particular toppings to your dish will make it look like snow in the mountain. So, take the following elements-
- Chopped Almonds- 1 Tbsp
- Diced Tomatoes- ½ Cup
- Grated Cheese- ½ Cup
- Bacon Crumbles- ½ Cup
- Shredded Coconut- 1 Cup
How to Make Snow on The Mountain?
Making snow in the mountain recipe is almost like cooking rice and regular chicken curry. You don’t have to prepare and cook any additional dishes. Here’s the easiest way to make this traditional dish at home-
Put a saucepan on the stove and add the boneless and skinless chicken thighs. Add chicken broth. Now spread all the spices like seasoning, pepper, salt, and garlic. Let it cook at medium heat for 15 minutes.
Now in another saucepan, put the uncooked rice grain and water. It will take 15 minutes to cook your rice at medium heat. Once the rice grains seem soft, lower the heat. You must cook the rice lid on the saucepan the entire time.
Check out whether the thighs are boiled properly. If so, heat off the saucepan and transfer the chicken mixture to a bowl. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
Take the chicken thighs bowl and shred the thighs nicely and return to the chicken mixture. Now take another small bowl and mix together the water and cornstarch. Make a smooth slurry. Now add the cornstarch slurry to the chicken mixture.
This cornstarch slurry will make the chicken mixture creamy and thicker. Your dish is ready to serve with proper decoration.
Take 3 serving dishes and 3 scoops of cooked rice for each dish. Top the chicken mixture and then layer with the mentioned toppings, including-
- Chopped Almonds
- Diced Tomatoes
- Grated Cheese
- Bacon Crumbles
- Shredded Coconut
Top the platter with an equal amount of chicken mixture and toppings. Now serve your nicely decorated snow on the mountain.
Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- Vegetable Salad
- Grilled Broccoli
- Fruit Salad
- Grilled Chili
- Red Wine
Snow on the Mountain Recipe || Have Chicken with Rice in A Different Way
- 1 Tsp Chicken Seasoning
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1½ Tsp White Salt or Kosher Salt
- Add the chicken thigh, chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Sprinkle the seasoning, pepper, salt, and garlic. Let it cook at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- This time, take another saucepan and put the uncooked rice and water. Cook your rice at medium heat for 15 minutes. Lower the heat once the rice seems soft.
- Heat off the saucepan of chicken mixture and transfer it to a bowl. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Take the chicken thighs bowl and shred the thighs nicely and return to the chicken mixture.
- Make a smooth slurry with the water and cornstarch.
- Now add the cornstarch slurry to the chicken mixture.
- Your dish is ready to serve.
- Don’t make the rice too boiled. It will make your rice too soft, and you won’t get the real taste of this dish.
- While making the chicken sauce, try adding chicken broth instead of simple cold water. Chicken broth can double the taste and flavor.
- Adding tomato sauce to the chicken mixture can be another top secret to make your dish delicious.
- Peanut butter is also another tasty element to increase the taste.
Cooking is an art, and you can make your own creative recipes with the most common ingredients. To be extra creative, go for the snow on the mountain recipe. Cooking rice and chicken with shredded coconut is one of the best snow food ideas.
Serving this dish that way will grab everyone’s attention so quickly. It especially comes into consideration when you’ve kids and they don’t like their meals. The attractive appearance of this dish will motivate them to have their food with ease.