Who doesn’t love cookies but if the cookies are soft as well as buttery, it becomes more tasty, right? Today, I’m here with the tempting welsh cookies Scranton recipe! My great grandpa was from Welsh and trust me he made these cookies better than any others restaurant available now.
From his old cookbook, I have learnt few recipes along with this one. I’m sure after preparing this one, you don’t want to switch your cookie recipe!
As You Read On
- 1 Know About the Welsh Cookies Scranton Recipe and Ingredients:
- 2 How to Make Welsh Cake
- 3 Welsh Cookies Scranton Recipe
- 4 Can You Cook Cookies on a Griddle?
- 5 Conclusion:
Know About the Welsh Cookies Scranton Recipe and Ingredients:
It is very important to learn about what you are using and why this method is fruitful. Let’s know about the ingredients first.
All-purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Flour:
The flour tends to hold the shape of your cookies while baking or cooking. In 1 cup of all-purpouse flour, you will get 12.36 g of protein.
Baking soda is for raising up the cookies so that they can be fluffier.
Salt is called balance-creator. It is used for enhancing all the falvors.
Butter ensures the even depth in all places of cookies. I always use unsalted butter. Margarine will do the work too. If you have only salted butter, then do consider reducing the amount of salt in the recipe.
Egg helps to muddle everything together.
Sugar provides moisture to the cookies and makes them chewier and tastier. Also, for diabetic patients, there have diabetic-sugar in option but they don’t taste like actual sugar.
- While measuring dry ingredients, like flour, make sure you spoon it into the measuring cup, levelling off with the back of the knife. Excess amount of any ingredients may ruin the actual taste of your cookies
- I would suggest to always use eggs at room temperature. If you have frozen eggs, then keep them out from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using.
How to Make Welsh Cake
You may question why did I call it welsh cake! Because, at first it was considered as cake. Time changes, name changes. Now we call it cookies! Anyways, to prepare this, you need to make a nice dough with flour, egg, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, etc.
You need to knead it finely. This process is irritating I know but this ensures the taste of cookies. The more finely you knead, the tastier and softer the cookies will taste. When the cookies are hot, sprinkle sugar but not in griddle. If you sprinkle sugar on griddle, then the extra heat will overcook cookies and the sugar can be burnt.
Welsh Cookies Scranton Recipe
- 1 cup flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine (cold, and cubed)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup Zante currants
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk you can use here non-fat milk as well
- First of all, you need to set an electric griddle to preheat at the temperature of 350 degrees F
- Take out a large bowl, and add nutmeg, flour, baking powder along with kosher salt.
- now, to the flour mixture, add the butter or margarine (cold and cubes), whichever you prefer.
- Using a pastry blender, mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like coarse iotas.
- Fold the mixture in Zante currants along with brown sugar.
- Now, in between of the flour mixture, make a well and pour milk with egg.
- With the pastry blender, blend finely until it forms a dough. Don’t worry the dough will be sticky-sticky. If it is watery, then you can add some more flour.
- Flour a flat surface, and place the dough. Start kneading and shape it like a disc.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough and make the thickness of 1/4 –inch. Now, use a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter and cut. With this you will have around 15 cookies!
- With a non-stick cooking spray, lightly grease the electric griddle and place the cookies as many as you want without touching each other.
- Heat them until golden browned one side. This won’t take more than 4 minutes for each side.
- Flip over other side and cook through the same process for the other side.
- Remove the cookies immediately from the griddle and sprinkle sugar while still hot.
- Serve warm cookies or cool down in wire rack, the best snack to soothe your taste buds.
- The cookies must not get overcooked, you need to highly maintain them.
- When you think one side of cookies is done, carefully flip them over.
- To feel whether it is done or not, gently feel the edges of cookies giving a light squeeze. Don’t touch the hot griddle!
- Instead of currants, raisins can be a better substitute! You will find raisins in any grocery store.
- The cookie dough can be prepared earlier. To do so, you need to cover lightly with plastic wrap and you can refrigerate them up to 3 days.
- If you want your cookies to be spread, then press lightly with the back of the spoon and that’s it!
Can You Cook Cookies on a Griddle?
Yes! Of course you have another option, cooking on stovetop griddles. Here you need to use non-sticky frying pan or any type of fine stove-top griddle.
In electric griddle we preheated it for 350 degrees F, here you need to start heating from med-low flame. Also, you need to watch very carefully while the cookies are cooking.
Mostly all the traditional English cookie recipes are prepared in almost same procedure. This is the one of the most ancient cookie recipe and I’m sure that you will absolutely love them! These griddle cookies are so easy to prepare at home just within 40 minutes. In afternoon, soothe your hunger by having some quick cookies!