Homemade bread has become very popular nowadays. A lot of people are trying out their hands at making different dishes, and the New York hard roll recipe is one of them. It is one of the easiest recipes that you can follow instructions too, to bake bread at home and enjoy with any dish that you may desire.
Bread is best enjoyed with soups or gravy-inclusive dishes. You can also have these hard rolls with your choice of salad dishes. Fresh salsa or plain salted butter goes well with these rolls too. Now, with this recipe, you can make them from scratch!
Know About the Heavenly Hard Rolls Recipe and Ingredients
These ingredients and the instructions will help you with the journey of baking these delicious hard rolls. They are famous and easy to make. The combination is perfect, and you can enjoy homemade carbs without the fear of unhealthy additives.
Instant yeast is a necessary ingredient for baking bread. The yeast activates the flour, and it usually feeds on sugar. That is why warm water and sugar are added whenever the dish calls for it. In this recipe, sugar and warm water will be used to activate the yeast, which in turn will react with the flour to make it more fluffy and soft. It will also make the bread dough increase in volume.
Although, make sure the sugar isn’t too much. The flavor of the bread will become sweeter than we want it to.
How to Make Hard Rolls?
These crusty European-style hard rolls are not that hard to make. The processing time takes longer than usual, but it is totally worth it. The umami scent of bread when it starts baking in the oven is so good that you will be eager to have it really soon.
If you are attempting to bake this bread dish, you must keep faith in yourself and follow the instructions carefully. You will do fine. You don’t need to be nervous about the outcome or possible odd shapes of the bread. The flavor and taste matter more than the appearance. That is the beauty of home-cooking. As long as you can enjoy the process and food, it’s all good.
New York Hard Rolls Recipe
- 5 Cup pizza flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2.50 cup water
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- 1/4 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a medium-sized bowl, pour some warm water. The water should not be so warm that your finger burns. It should be slightly warm but not too warm to become a heated liquid hazard. Mix the granulated sugar into the water, make sure it dissolves completely.
- Pour in the instant yeast. Slowly mix the yeast with the sugar and dissolve water. After the water seems to be taking the yeast in, cover it with a lid and set it aside in a warm enough place. This will help the yeast to activate and really start working.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sprinkle the salt, and make a little well. Fill it with the yeast mixed water. Slowly start mixing them together. You can use your hands or a spoon. You can even use a spatula. It all depends on your comfort zone. The dough will start forming as you keep mixing the wet and dry ingredients together. As the lumpy dough forms, cover it with a damp yet fresh towel and set it aside to rest. Let it rise for 40-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle some loose flour and punch down softly on the dough. It should have increased in size by now. Stretch and fold the dough for a few minutes. Make sure the dough oxygenates and gets a lot of air in. Drip some oil on your hands, lather the dough into a ball, and set it back into the bowl. Let it rest and rise for another 45 minutes.
- While the dough is resting and rising, ready a baking sheet. Line it with baking paper. Make sure the baking sheets have enough space for the bread to stretch and increase in volume. Preheat the oven at 220 degrees F. Keep it preheating for about 10-15 minutes.
- Beat a large egg with a fork. You can sprinkle just a little bit of salt into it. Pour some water too. Beat it well to make a good egg wash. Ready a cooking brush with which you will brush the bread rolls.
- Uncover the dough and sprinkle loose powder. Stretch and fold the dough. Divide it into 12 pieces. Place them on the baking sheet. Brush them with the beaten egg wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds and sesame seeds on them. Make sure they stick well. You can take a sharp knife and make a cross on top of each of them but not too deep.
- Place them in the oven and bake for around 35-40 minutes. Take them out and check if they are ready. Let them rest on a cooling rack for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with your main dish or soup and gravy. Enjoy warm!
This is one of the easiest ways to make homemade hard rolls. Many New Yorkers love having these types of bread rolls. You can make them at home now by following this recipe. You can serve it during brunch parties. This is a wholesome and filling side dish that you can serve with a large variety of other dishes. You can also eat it as a healthy lunch beside a chicken mixed salad too. You will surely enjoy it however you like.
You May Also Like: