In New Mexico, the native Pueblo tribe usually makes the Pueblo bread recipe. So, the origin of this recipe is in Mexico. And it’s a traditional bread recipe in New Mexico.
The Pueblo bread tastes so good and is different from the regular ones that I eat every day. It’s because this bread is made of some unique ingredients, for example, lard and butter.
But, it’s a bread recipe made for commercial purposes in the bakeries in a large arrangement. Still, if you want to try it at home, you can. Here’s our Pueblo oven bread recipe guide. Let’s get started.
As You Read On
- 1 Pueblo Oven Bread Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Pueblo Bread?
- 3 Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- 4 Pueblo Bread Recipe || An Ideal Recipe Ideal for All-Time Meals
- 5 How to Make Fry Bread?
- 6 Conclusion
Pueblo Oven Bread Ingredients
All-Purpose Flour (6 Cups)
Flour is the key ingredient in making a bread or cake-type recipe. Since we’ll make the bread recipe, we require flour. So, 6 cups of flour will be required for today’s recipe.
Sugar (¼ Cup)
Apply a little amount of sugar so that the recipe won’t be excessively sweet. Just to bring a slightly sweet flavor, you can add ¼ cup of sugar. Again, if you want to add an extraordinary flavor, substitute sugar with ¼ cup of honey. It depends on your taste.
Salt (½ Tsp)
Besides a slightly sweet taste, the bread should have a light salty flavor. So, you also need to take ½ tsp of salt.
Dry Yeast (7 Grams)
Yeast is a single egg-shaped tiny fungus you cannot see without a microscope. It’s essential to add yeast to the Pueblo bread ingredients to make the dough rise properly. Because yeast creates carbon Di Oxide and leads the dough to rise well. So, 7 grams of yeast will be needed for this bread recipe.
Hot Water (1 ½ Cups)
Water is the solvent agent to make a soft dough and also to solvent the yeast before making your bread recipe. For 6 cups of flour, you need 1 ½ cups of hot water.
Shortening (½ Tbsp)
To give a crispy and crumbled texture to the Pueblo bread, shortening is the right ingredient. It helps the dough to be separated into layers and creates a flaky texture. So, take ½ tbsp of shortening.
How to Make Pueblo Bread?
Make your Pueblo bread recipe following the given instructions-
Preheat your oven to 350° F
Mix the yeast into ¼ cups of hot water and let it dissolve. Set the bowl aside.
This time, take another bowl and put 1 cup of hot water, sugar, shortening, and salt. Now keep stirring until the elements are mixed properly. Keep the mixture at room temperature for 10 minutes and allow it to be cold.
Take the bowl of mixture and dissolved yeast if the mixture is cold enough. Keep mixing.
Now, you’ll have to add flour to the mixture. But you shouldn’t add the flour all together at a time. Take 5 cups of flour and add them gradually. Keep mixing and make sure the mixture is smooth.
Now, take your wooden board and spread the remaining 1 cup of flour on it. Place the dough on the board and keep kneading. Keep kneading for 10 minutes or more until it becomes elastic and smooth. Place the dough in a bowl once it’s smooth enough and wrap the bowl with foil paper, and set aside for 10 minutes.
Take the bowl of dough and shape the dough a round shape. Take your baking sheet of bread and brush it with cooking oil. And place the dough into the sheet. Now put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Your Pueblo bread recipe is ready. Keep it a room temperature and allow it to be cold for 20 minutes.
Cut the slices into lightly thick pieces and serve with your favorite dishes.
Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- Butter Chicken
- Smokey White Bean
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Cream Cheese
- Soups and Stews
- Tomato Soup
- Roasted Vegetables
- Lentil Stew
Pueblo Bread Recipe || An Ideal Recipe Ideal for All-Time Meals
- 6 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 7 Grams Dry Yeast
- ½ Tbsp Shortening
- 1 ½ Cups Hot Water
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup of hot water.
- Mix 1 cup of hot water, sugar, shortening, and salt.
- Keep the mixture at room temperature for 10 minutes and allow it to be cold.
- Add dissolved yeast to the mixture and keep mixing.
- Add 5 cups of flour to the mixture. Keep mixing and make a smooth dough.
- Now take your wooden board and spread the remaining 1 cup of flour on it.
- Keep kneading the dough for 10 minutes and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Take the bowl of dough and shape the dough a round shape.
- Brush your baking sheet with cooking oil and place the dough into the sheet.
- Now put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Your Pueblo bread recipe is ready.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Cut the slices into lightly thick pieces and serve.
- Adding fat will make your bread tastier. You can add butter, olive oil, or coconut oil.
- Don’t bake for a long time.
- Try other types of flour rather than the all-purpose flour only.
- Use properly stored yeast.
- Apply the right amount of sugar and salt.
- Applying calcium propionate acts as an ideal preservative. As a result, you can store your bread for a long time.
How to Make Fry Bread?
The most popular and easily found fry bread is easy to make at home. It’s one of the most popular Native American bread. There’s no need to look for it in your nearby stores. You need only 5 ingredients and 15 min to make this delicious snack food. Let’s check out how you can make this.
- Vegetable Oil- 3 Cups
- All-Purpose Oil-1 Cup for Dough and 1 Cup for Dusting
- Milk- ½ Cup
- Salt- ¼ Tsp
- Baking Powder- ½ Tsp
How to Make Fry Bread?
- Put a deep bottom saucepan on the stove and give 1-inch deep oil. Let the oil warm at medium-low heat.
- Take a mixing bowl and mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Once they are mixed well, add milk and keep kneading until it becomes a nice dough.
- Make 4 balls from the dough and roll them with the roll pin. Before rolling them, dust the rolling surface with flour so that the balls won’t stick to the surface.
- Each piece of bread will be 1/2 -inch thick.
- Once you have finished rolling each ball, you have to fry them in the oil you preheated at medium-low heat.
- Fry them for 5 minutes and flip up at every 2 minutes. Make sure the bread appears brown in color
- Your fry bread is ready to serve.
The traditional journey of bread began thirty thousand years ago in the Egypt civilization. Since then, the popularity o bread has been increasing tremendously as days go decades after decades. And it becomes an ideal option to make a quick breakfast or dinner.
So, based on its increased popularity, it has appeared in different tastes, types, and flavors. And Pueblo bread recipe is one of the most popular traditional bread recipes.
This delicious bread recipe requires only a few ingredients and a simple baking method. So, making this recipe at home is trouble-free.