Pappadeaux and shrimp-grits recipes are synonymous. When you think about the shrimp and grits recipe, Pappadeaus comes into the imagination. One of the largest restaurants in America is the Pappadeaux Sea Food Kitchen.
It’s operated by expert chefs and offers a wide range of traditional cuisines. And one of the most famous menus of the Pappadeaus is the shrimp and grits. You can try making this amazing Pappadeaux and shrimp grits recipe at home.
Bring a restaurant-like warm atmosphere to your dining table like the Pappeadux. Making this classic recipe will offer a cheesy, savory, and creamy taste and make your dinner more fun. So, make this delicious item yourself and surprise everyone. Check out the recipe guide detail.
As You Read On
- 1 Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits?
- 3 Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- 4 The Delicious Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits Recipe for Dinner
- 5 How to Reheat Shrimp and Grits?
- 6 Conclusion
Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits Ingredients
This recipe requires the following ingredients –
- Bell Pepper (½)
- Small Onion (1)
- Celery Stalks (2-4)
The Cajun trinity is a combination of bell pepper, onion, and celery. Take these elements and dice them in the same size and make your cajun trinity. Cutting them in the same size will cook at the same rate. So, maintaining the size is important.
Andouille Sausage (8 oz)
It’s a very common ingredient while making the Pappdeaux shrimp and grits recipe. To get a smokey and spicy flavor, andouille sausage is a must-use element. So, take 8 oz of andouille and dice them. You can substitute the andouille sausage with beef or turkey.
Bacon (4 Slices)
The next up is to take 4 thick-cut slices of bacon and slice them into bite-size pieces. It will offer just tons of flavor to your recipe and make it mouthwatering.
Jumbo Shrimp (1 lb)
Take 1 lb of shrimp to make your recipe.
All-Purpose Flour (3 Tbsp)
Adding flour to the trinity mixture will help it thicken. Flour works as a thickening agent in this type of recipe.
Butter (2 Tbsp)
To make this recipe, you’ll require high-quality butter of 2 tbsp maximum.
Old Fashioned Grits (1 cup)
Adding the old-fashioned grit powder will make the grits taste outstanding.
Whole Milk (2 Cups)
This ingredient is required to make only the grits. You don’t need milk for gravy ro shrimp. So, take 2 cups of whole milk.
Smoked Gouda Cheese (2 cups)
Take 2 cups of grated cheese and keep them aside.
Chicken Stock (4 Cups)
To make gravy, take 4 cups of chicken stock. It’s flexible. So, if you cannot make chicken stock, go for any seafood stock. Both will make the gravy or sauce nicely.
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder (1 Tsp)
These three ingredients are required while making grits. Adding them to the grits adds extra flavor and taste. 1 tsp for each of them will be perfect.
Parsley (2 Tbsp)
For topping the dish and adding to the grits, take 2 tbsp of fresh parsley. Wash them properly and chop them into small pieces.
Fresh Lemon Juice (1 Tbsp)
Lemon juice you need at the end of the cooking process. Before serving, spread the lemon juice over the dish. It will bring a tangy flavor.
Sugar (¼ Tsp)
To give a sweet taste to your grits, adding ¼ tsp of sugar will be an excellent trick. However, it’s optional.
Lobster Base (1 Tbsp)
Adding lobster base in the trinity for a great flavor. However, if you don’t find it in the store, substitute it with the chicken or vegetable base.
How to Make Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits?
The way you can make the Papadeaux recipes are as follows-
Put the skillet on the stove at medium-low heat and put bacon. Keep stirring the bacon and let it render its fat. Bacon has its own fat, so you don’t have to add extra cooking oil to the skillet
This will make the recipe more flavorful. Keep sauteeing the bacon for 5 minutes and make them brown.
Once the fat is rendered from the bacon, transfer them to a plate and put andouille sausage in the skillet.
Saute them as same as you sauteed bacon and let the flavor come out. Saute the andouille sausage for 5 minutes and remove them from the skillet.
The next up is to make the roux for gravy that we’ll spread on the top of our recipe. So, add the cajun trinity to the skillet.
Now add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of lobster base. Keep stirring the trinity and butter and mix them well.
After adding a lobster base, add flour to the trinity mixture. Keep stirring for 1 minute and mix them well.
Once the flour is mixed properly, add 2 cups of chicken stock to your roux. Continue stirring. Make sure you use the specific measurement. Or, the roux can be watery.
Now decrease the heat to low and keep stirring. This time add andouille sausage and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Your roux will be thickened nicely.
Now it’s time to make on a saucepan, add another 2 cups of chicken stock, milk, old fashioned grit powder. Mix them and bring them to a boil for 15 minutes at medium-high heat.
When the grits are cooking, you have to get your shrimp ready. Now take the plate of shrimp and season them with salt and cajun seasoning. Season both sides properly.
Now put the skillet on the stove and put 1 tbsp of butter. Let it melt and then add shrimp in a single layer. Fry them for 10 minutes at medium-low heat.
Check out the skillet of your grit, and it’s ready. To make it a bit extra delicious, add 1 tbsp of butter, gouda cheese, and cajun seasoning. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
Grit is ready. Now it’s time to plate this up. So, take a couple of spoons of grits on a serving dish.
Your Pappadeaux shrimp and grits recipe is perfectly ready to serve. Now top it with fresh chopped parsley and lemon juice and serve.
Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- Tomato & Spinach Galettes
- Buttermilk Biscuit
- Squash Puppies
- Roasted Vegetables
- Corn Succotash
- Creamed peas
- Pesto Zoodles
- Lettuce Wedge Salad
The Delicious Pappadeaux Shrimp and Grits Recipe for Dinner
- 8 Oz Andouille Sausage
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1 Lb Jumbo Shrimp
- 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Grits
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Tsp Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lobster Base
- Put the skillet on the stove at medium-low heat and put bacon. Keep stirring for 5 minutes to render its fat.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate and put andouille sausage in the skillet.
- Saute them for 5 minutes.
- Add the cajun trinity to the skillet. Now add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of the lobster base. Keep stirring the trinity and butter and mix them well.
- Add flour to the trinity mixture. Keep stirring for 1 minute and mix them well.
- This time, add 2 cups of chicken stock to your roux. Continue stirring.
- Now decrease the heat to low and stir.
- Add andouille sausage and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take a saucepan, and add another 2 cups of chicken stock, milk, and old-fashioned grit powder. Mix and bring them to a boil for 15 minutes at medium-high heat.
- Now season both sides of the shrimp with salt and cajun seasoning on a plate.
- Put your skillet on the stove and put the 1 tbsp of butter. Let it melt, and then add shrimp in a single layer. Fry them for 10 minutes at medium-low heat.
- Now check out the grits and add 1 tbsp of butter, gouda cheese, and cajun seasoning for added flavor. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Your Pappadeaux shrimp and grits recipe is perfectly ready to serve.
- Now top it with fresh chopped parsley and lemon juice and serve.
- Go with slow motion while making this recipe. Keep the heat low and make each item, like grits, gravy, and shrimp, slowly. It will get you a good result.
- Low heat helps to get in a silky texture.
- You can serve the leftover gravy with other side dishes. This way, if you have shrimp or grits left (any one of them), just serve them with any other dish. It will be great not to waste.
- Adding heavy cream, milk, or buttermilk will thicken the grits nicely.
- There are no specific rules that grits should be thick, it can be runny too. Everything depends on your preference.
How to Reheat Shrimp and Grits?
It’s very common you’ll always get some leftovers. So, what to do with them? You can eat the leftover in your next meal. But you must reheat them before serving or eating. If you don’t know how to reheat shrimp and grits, here’s how you can-
- Take your grits in a bowl and add a cup of water. Mix them properly
- Now put the grits in your microwave oven and reheat for 1 minute. Keep stirring and make sure it’s not sticking to the oven bottom. Remove from the oven if it seems creamy.
- Now add your leftover shrimp to the oven and let them warm for 1 more minute
- Your leftover is ready to eat and serve
The Pappadeaux shrimp and grits recipe is a rich main course that you can serve in your dinner. However, this classic southern dish is mostly known for breakfast, though it’s perfect for heavy meals. And it’s now traditionally recognized for the dinner menu.
But, there are no specific rules that you have to serve it during breakfast, dinner, or lunch. Depending on your preference, serve it at your convenience at mealtime. This dish is good for health because it delivers protein, Vitamin B12, iodine, and copper with little fat.