Introducing the Braided Taco: a savory marvel blending traditional taco fillings with the elegance of a flaky, golden-brown pastry. Each bite offers a symphony of flavors—crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and gooey cheese interwoven with seasoned ground beef.
Perfectly folded, this handheld delight delivers a fusion of textures and tastes. Whether on the go or showcased at gatherings, the Braided Taco elevates the taco experience to new heights. Say goodbye to ordinary taco and embrace this delicious braided taco recipe: an innovative twist on a beloved classic!
As You Read On
- 1 What is a Braided Taco?
- 2 Braided Taco Recipe Ingredients
- 3 How to Make Braided Taco Recipe?
- 4 Best Side Dishes to Serve With a Braided Taco
- 5 Braided Taco Recipe with Buttery Flavor
- 6 Conclusion
What is a Braided Taco?
A braided taco is a creative twist on the traditional Mexican dish. It consists of a soft tortilla that is cut into strips and woven into a basket-like shape. The braided tortilla is then filled with various toppings, such as cheese, meat, beans, salsa, and sour cream. The braided taco can be baked or fried, depending on the preference of the cook. The result is a crispy and cheesy treat that is fun to eat and share. A braided taco is a great way to use up leftover tortillas and ingredients, or to spice up a boring meal.
Braided Taco Recipe Ingredients
Ground Beef (½ LB)
The main ingredient to make this recipe is ground beef. So, take 1/2 lb of ground beef. If you don’t want to be hassled, use store-bought ready-ground beef. This recipe also works well with grilled chicken or pulled pork.
Taco Seasoning (1 ½ Tbsp)
It’s a savory spice element that delivers a smokey flavor. Also, taco seasoning is considered to spread a warm and spicy taste, making your dish distinct flavorful. To make today’s recipe, take 1 ½ tbsp of taco seasoning.
Chopped Onion (1 Cup)
You should add onion to give the ground beef a deeper flavor and a nice color to your dish. You’ll require 1 cup of chopped onion.
Olive Oil (2 Tbsp)
Use olive oil to sauté the onions. Olive has a distinct aroma that can benefit any dish.
Tortillas are the foundation of any taco recipe! The tortillas cradle the ingredients in a typical taco. For this braided taco recipe, the tortillas serve the same purpose, but in a fun and unique way!
Chopped Tomatoes (2 Cup)
Fresh tomatoes are a perfect ingredient to add some freshness and a bit of acid to a braided taco. use them both inside the taco and as a topping after its cooked!
Shredded Lettuce (2 Cup)
Fresh shredded lettuce is added after the braided taco is cooked to add a crisp texture and some freshness to the dish.
Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese (⅓ Cup Each)
You also need to apply cheese to get a gooey texture to the tacos. You can use only mozzarella or cheddar cheese or can use both. We recommend applying both of these cheeses to get a richness of flavor. You’ll need ⅓ cup of mozzarella cheese and ⅓ cup of cheddar cheese. You must grate the cheese before applying.
Salsa (½ Cup)
For a sweeter and deeper flavor, apply ½ cup of salsa. Salsa add moisture and saucy flavor to the braided taco.
Melted Butter (1 Tbsp)
You need 1 tbsp of melted butter to brush over the folded taco. Brushing melted butter before baking will give a nice smell and buttery taste, as well as letting the taco get crisp after it’s cooked.
How to Make Braided Taco Recipe?
Step 1 – Prepare your Ingredients
Chop the onions, lettuce and tomatoes and put them into separate bowls.
Step 2 – Sauté the onions
Put your skillet on the stove and keep the heat medium-low. Now put olive oil and let it warm. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
Step 3 – Cook the beef
Once the onion is sautéed well, add ground beef and mix with the sautéed onion. Cook for 5 minutes, and then add seasoning. Keep stirring for 10 minutes at medium-high heat, or until meat is cooked through. Transfer the beef to a dish and keep it aside for later use.
Step 4 – Prepare the tortillas
Cut even strips down the sides of each tortilla, leaving room in the middle to add your other ingredients.
Step 5 – Spread your ingredients onto the tortillas
It’s now time to add all the ingredients one after another. Spread your ingredients along the center of tortilla one at a time.
Step 6 – Braid the tortillas!
Now fold each of the divided parts in a criss-cross style, layering each strip of the tortilla over the other ingredients and over the previously folded tortilla strip.
Step 7 – Get it in the oven
Once you finished folding the parts, you have to brush some butter over the taco.
Finished butter means your taco is ready to bake. So, bake it in your preheated oven at 375° F. Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 8 – Serve
Cover your braided taco with
Best Side Dishes to Serve With a Braided Taco
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo: These pair great with this taco recipe. Try our Bobby Flay Salsa Recipe
- Guacamole and Chips: Another excellent pairing. The creaminess of the guacamole and the crunch of tortilla chips pair perfectly with a braided taco.
- Soup: A nice light soup can pair well with these tacos. Try our Grandma’s Wild Rice Soup!
Braided Taco Recipe with Buttery Flavor
- ½ LB Ground Beef
- 1 ½ Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tortilla
- ⅓ Cup Mozzarella
- ⅓ Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cup Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Salsa
- 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
- Dice your onion and tomatoes. Set the tomato aside in a small bowl
- Shred the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Set aside in a small bowl
- In a medium-sized pan, sautee your chopped onion with olive oil for 5 minutes
- Add ground beef and mix with the sauteed onion. Sautee for 5 minutes, and then add seasoning. Keep stirring for 10 minutes at medium-high heat
- Using a knife, cut the 4 slits towards the middle on each side of the tortilla. Leave space in the middle to place your ingredients.
- One at a time, spread the ground beef mixture, chopped tomatoes and shredded cheeses down the middle of the tortillas
- Now fold each of the divided parts in a cross style
- Brush some butter over the taco
- Bake it in your preheated oven at 375° F for 25 minutes.
- Spread some chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce over it
- Your braided taco is ready to serve
- Now cut into pieces and enjoy
- Topping with veggies along with sour cream will increase the taste
- Grilled veggies as topping are the best for tacos
- Serve them hot
- You can refrigerate the braided tacos up to one week. But, you have to reheat them before serving
With common ingredients and a short cook time, this braided taco recipe is a perfect way to try something new with straying far from what you know. It’s a perfect dish for all ages and can be made as an appetizer or entrée. Give it a try today!
You May Also Like: