We’re used to eating tomatoes in many ways. And one of the most popular ways is to have pickled tomatoes. Therefore, it’s common to pickle different types of tomatoes at home. Here’s the sweet pickled green tomatoes recipe if you want to try making it.
It’s obviously an excellent item that matches as a salad with your main dishes. To increase the taste of your meal, you can have pickled tomatoes. This food item is well-storable, and you can store it for up to months.
Green tomato pickles come with many health benefits as well. It will help your digestive system, stabilize blood glucose levels, control blood sugar, and many more. As a result, you can be free of many unexpected diseases in your daily life.
As You Read On
- 1 Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Recipe?
- 3 The Best Main Dishes to Serve With
- 4 Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 5 Bread and Butter Green Tomato Pickles
- 6 Ingredients You Need
- 7 How to Cook?
- 8 Conclusion
Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Ingredients
Very few ingredients are required to make this exclusive item. Here are what you need-
Green Tomatoes (20)
Take 20 green tomatoes and wash them well. Cut all the tomatoes into a quarter size. And keep them in a bowl.
Green Jalapenos (2)
you’ll also need 20 small-size jalapenos. Cut them into small slices.
Take a carrot and wash it well. Now chop up the carrot into small pieces. Keep them in a bowl and keep them aside for later use.
Water and Vinegar (2 Cups Each)
Vinegar helps in preserving and canning pickled tomatoes. You’ll need water and vinegar, 2 cups of each. And water you’ll need to make the tomato paste.
Garlic (4 Cloves)
Garlic is considered the main element to get a strong flavor. So, you’ll have to take 4 cloves of garlic. Chop up the cloves and keep them aside in a bowl.
Coconut Sugar (4 Tbsp)
Pickled tomatoes come in sweet and spicy tastes. To get that sweet taste, take 4 tbsp of coconut sugar. You can use regular sugar as well. Any kind of sugar is alright to use.
Salt (2 Tbsp)
Adding salt will give the pickled tomatoes a salty taste. So, take 2 tbsp of salt.
How to Make Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Recipe?
In a simple way and short time, you can quickly make this amazing recipe. Let’s check out how-
Take a medium-sized saucepan and add 2 cups of water. Now add 2 cups of vinegar. It’s the very first step to making this spice and sweet recipe.
Add the chopped garlic cloves to the saucepan of water and vinegar. Add the carrot, sugar, and salt to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil and keep stirring for 10 minutes.
Now add tomatoes and jalapenos slices to the boiling saucepan. Keep string for 7 minutes. After that, heat off and let the liquid cool for 10 minutes.
Bring your jars and put the tomatoes in when the liquid is cool. Pour the liquid into the jars and airtight the lid. Now your sweet and spicy pickled green tomatoes are ready to refrigerate.
Put them in the fridge. This recipe is preservable for up to 2 months.
The Best Main Dishes to Serve With
Pickled tomatoes come with an intense and sweet-tangy taste that suits any dishes. You can serve this item with the following main dish during your dinner or lunchtime-
- Skillet Chicken
- Fried Chicken
- Fried rice
- Fried Potatoes
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled vegetables
Sweet Pickled Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 20 Green Tomatoes
- 2 Green Jalapenos
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Cups Water and Vinegar Each
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- Take a medium size of saucepan and add 2 cups of water.
- Now add 2 cups of vinegar.
- Add the chopped cloves of garlic to the saucepan of water and vinegar.
- Add the carrot, sugar, and salt to the saucepan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and keep stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and jalapenos slices to the saucepan.
- Keep string for 7 more minutes.
- Heat off and let the liquid cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes into the jars, and airtight the lid.
- Put the jars in the fridge.
- You can use them for up to 2 months.
- Using Roma or Cherry tomatoes for this recipe will increase the taste..
- Adding a tsp of pepper will bring an extra spicy flavor.
- You can pickle tomatoes with only 3 basic ingredients. And these are water, vinegar, and salt.
Bread and Butter Green Tomato Pickles
Another similar extraordinary recipe is the bread and butter green tomato pickles. This recipe is even tastier. So, let’s have a quick look at how to make this recipe-
Ingredients You Need
- Green Tomatoes- 3 Pounds
- Salt- ¼ Cup
- Sliced Red Pepper-1
- Sugar- 2 cups
- Vinegar 2 Cups
- Thinly Sliced Onion-1
- Dill Seeds- 2 Tsp
- Turmeric for Color- 2 Tsp
- Pepper Flacks Red- ½ Tsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 Tsp
- Whole Black Peppercorn- 1Tsp
How to Cook?
- Take the tomatoes and poke holes in each tomato using a toothpick
- Now mix the tomatoes in a bowl with red pepper, salt, and onion
- Put this bowl in the fridge for 5 hours or more if you can
- Now rinse the tomatoes into cold water and drain the water well
- This time take water into a saucepan and add all other ingredients. Mix them properly and boil on medium heat for 15 minutes
- Add tomatoes to the boiling saucepan and boil for 5 more minutes. Add peppercorn and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes
- Now remove the saucepan from the stove
- Pour the tomatoes into separate jars and airtight the lid
- Put them into the refrigerator
Pickling is an excellent way to preserve perishable fruits and vegetables. Sweet pickled green tomatoes recipe is the most common homemade item. It’s also easy and time-saving to make at home. So, knowing the right ingredients and how to make them will help you make it anytime you want.
Your one-day effort will speak for over a month as this recipe is well-storable. You can keep it in your fridge and serve it anytime, according to your necessity. Its sweet and spicy taste will incredibly enhance the food taste. And the health benefits of this recipe are the bonus.