One of the most traditional and popular recipes in Colorado is the pork green chili recipe. The reason for such popularity of this recipe is its unique ingredients. For example, this recipe uses diced green chilies. Also, it comes with chunks of pork which makes it unique and delicious.
This flavorful comfort Colorado pork green chili recipe features taste and nutrition altogether. On a winter evening or rainy night, this can be a great addition to the stew to make your time special.
It’s versatile, flavorful, and well-storable. Making it anytime will allow you to serve several times. So, try it today!
As You Read On
- 1 Colorado Pork Green Chili Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Pork Green Chili?
- 3 Best Toppings & Side Dish to Serve With
- 4 Colorado Pork Green Chili Recipe || The Traditional Dish of Colorado
- 5 Conclusion
Colorado Pork Green Chili Ingredients
Ingredients that you need to make homemade pork green chili are as follows-
Pork (1 lb)
This is the key ingredient for this recipe. 1 lb of ground or cubed pork will be required. You can use either ground or cubes. However, the ground pork is perfect.
Flour (2 Tbsp)
The pork green chili recipe is a soup-type dish. Thus adding flour to it will bring a thick texture and creamy appearance. So take 2 tbsp of flour.
Roasted Green Chili (1 Cup)
Take 15 to 20 green chili and roast them in a lightly brushed olive oil pan. After that, peel them and take 1 cup of roasted green chili.
Garlic (1 Clove)
This will require a very less amount of garlic. So, take 1 clove of minced garlic.
Salt (1 Tsp)
You’ll need 1 tsp salt to taste the recipe.
Olive Oil (½ Cup)
To cook the entire recipe, you’ll need ½ cup of olive oil.
Cumin & Pepper (½ Tsp Each)
Cumin and black pepper powder are required to get a nice flavor in the pork recipe. Add more or less around ½ tsp of these spices.
Water (3 Cups)
Very few recipes you can cook or make without water. Almost all recipes require you to use water. And the pork green chili is no exception. So, today’s recipe will require 3 cups of cold water.
Tomato Paste (2 cans of 20 Ounces Each)
Adding the southwestern-style canned tomato paste adds a unique taste. So, take 2 cans of tomato paste. If you cannot find it in the nearby store, make the tomato paste yourself.
How to Make Pork Green Chili?
You need only 5 simple main steps to prepare this pork green chili recipe-
To cook this recipe, you need not go for the oven. It’s well perfect to make in the gas stove. So, put your saucepan on the stove at medium-low heat. Ensure your saucepan is designed deep bottom. Give oil and warm it for 1 minute.
Add minced garlic and sauté it for 2 minutes. Let the garlic paste be softened. Now add your pork meat to the oil and garlic. You’ll cook all your meat at a time and stuff it until it becomes brown.
Continue stirring for 10 minutes at medium-low heat. Stand beside the stove and stir. Don’t leave the meat because it can be burnt as you didn’t add the liquid yet.
Once the meat turns brown, it’s time to add flour and mix it with the meat. Keep mixing and coating the meat with your flour. Let it mix well on low heat for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes of flour stirring, add the canned tomato paste and mix well. After that, add the rest of the ingredients. For instance, roasted green chili, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Add them gradually. And mix them well so that all the spices are mixed with floured meat. Let them sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
Now add the cups of cold water and mix them. Let the mixture simmer for 3 hours at medium-low heat. Stir halfway through your cooking so that the spicy meat won’t get stuck to the saucepan bottom and bring a burnt smell.
Your dish is ready. You can now serve it hot with some flavorful toppings.
Best Toppings & Side Dish to Serve With
|Sour Cream Dollop
|Grated Carrot and Cabbage
|Sliced Fried shallots
|Spring Onion Rings
Colorado Pork Green Chili Recipe || The Traditional Dish of Colorado
- 1 Lb Pork
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Roasted Green Chili
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Can Tomato Paste 20 Ounces Each
- Put your saucepan on the stove at medium-low heat.
- Give oil and warm it for 1 minute.
- Add minced garlic and sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Now add your pork meat to the oil and garlic and continue stirring for 10 minutes at medium-low heat.
- It’s time to add flour and mix it with the meat and let it mix well on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomato paste, roasted green chili, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and let them sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now add the cups of cold water and mix them. Let the mixture simmer for 3 hours at medium-low heat.
- Your dish is ready while the mixture seems thickened.
- Serve it hot with toppings.
- If your pork green chili isn’t thickened yet, add 3 tbsp of cornstarch. It’s an outstanding thickening agent.
- For an added flavor, you can add paprika. It is just a game-changer for flavoring your pork chile Colorado recipe.
The Colorado pork green chili recipe is almost similar to the tortilla soup. However, pork green chili has more flavor and complexity. The perfect combination of its ingredients makes it the best recipe ever.
Since it’s a versatile soup recipe, you can use it with any side or main course. Also, it’s a perfect dish to serve anytime for lunch or dinner. Surprisingly, this dish will help you recover from the skin infection, if any.
Also, your digestive issues will be solved. And if you’re suffering from a mood swing problem, this dish will be the natural remedy.