Cracker Barrel restaurant has been serving since 1969. It has been doing its business as an interstate institution. It’s an American chain of restaurants and also a gift store.
You might have tried the cracker barrel apple butter if you’re fond of fruit butter or jelly items. It’s super delicious. And is also healthy. If the Cracker Barrel isn’t available nearby, try the homemade one. To make this apple butter at home, here’s a recipe guide.
Making the cracker barrel apple butter recipe is easy to make. Using only a few ingredients, you can make this recipe. Check it out!
As You Read On
- 1 Cracker Barrel Apple Butter Ingredients
- 2 How to Make Cracker Barrel Apple Butter?
- 3 Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- 4 Cracker Barrel Apple Butter Recipe || Best Sweet & Spicy Spread Ever
- 5 How to Make Apple Butter the Old Fashioned Way?
- 6 Conclusion
Cracker Barrel Apple Butter Ingredients
Usually, you need apple cider, ripped apple pieces, sugar, and a few more ingredients to make regular apple butter. To make the Cracker Barrel apple butter also, you’ll require the same ingredients with a few additional ones. Here’s what you need-
Apples (3 Apples)
Take 3 apples and cut them into quarter shapes. Don’t make them sliced. Put them in a bowl and keep the bowl aside.
Apple Cider (½ Cup)
Apple cider is a kind of vinegar that is made of crushed apples. Adding apple cider is a must-do job while making your Cracker Barrel apple butter. Apple cider will deliver a great alcoholic flavor. As a result, your butter will become more delicious and flavorful.
Brown Sugar (3 Cups)
You either can use brown sugar or granulated sugar. Both will increase the taste and flavor so well. Also, it will bring a nice color to yoru butter. We’ll use brown sugar. Take 3 cups of sugar to get a measurable sweet taste.
Cinnamon & All Spice (½ Tsp Each)
These two spices are required to increase the aroma. However, adding more than you require will get a bitter taste. So, you need not take much of them. Take ½ tsp of cinnamon and ½ tsp of allspice.
Cloves Powder (¼ Tsp)
Using the cloves powder will get a good mixture rather than the cloves pieces. Using cloves will also result in a great flavor. However, adding excessive or inaccurate amounts of cloves will make the apple butter bitter. So, use only ¼ tsp.
Salt (½ Tsp)
Adding salt will make it salty and it will taste good. Therefore, you can add ½ tsp of salt. However, if you don’t like the salty flavor, skip it. It’s optional to add salt to your apple butter recipe. But, we would like to take salt of ½ tsp.
How to Make Cracker Barrel Apple Butter?
Making Cracker Barrel apple butter is pretty easy and requires no hassling cooking process. However, it necessitates a bit lengthy cooking time. So, before you go to make this recipe, ensure you have more than 6 hours in your hand. Here’s how to cook it-
Take a Dutch and put it on the stove at medium-high heat. Put all the quarter-sized apples in it. Now add apple cider, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Now give them a good stir to mix well.
Cook for 3 hours and make sure the apple pieces are soft to mash. The time can be more or less, and you can stop cooking once the apple pieces are soft
This time, mash the apple pieces using an e-mixture.
Once the mixture is ready, add ½ tbsp of lemon juice. And mix well with the apple mixture. Your Cracker Barrel apple butter is ready.
You’re in the last stage of making your recipes. Let it cool for 10 minutes. Pour the butter into a jar and store them in your fridge. Ensure the lid is airtight before refrigerating. You can serve the apple butter in any of your favorite dishes like cornbread or baked potato wedges.
Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Pumpkin Pie
- Butternut Squash
- French Toast
Cracker Barrel Apple Butter Recipe || Best Sweet & Spicy Spread Ever
- 3 Apples
- ½ Cup Apple Cider
- 3 Cups Brown Sugar
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp All Spice
- ¼ Tsp Cloves Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Put a Dutch on the stove at medium-high heat
- Put all the ingredients with apple pieces in the Dutch and mix well
- Cook for 3 hours and make sure the apple pieces are soft
- This time mash the apple pieces on the Dutch
- Once the mixture is ready, add ½ tbsp of lemon juice and mix well
- Pour the butter into a jar and store them in your fridge
- Apple butter can be a great ingredient if you want to make the apple butter cake.
- It’s a common problem if your apple butter gets runny. In two effective ways, you can thicken the butter mixture. One is to keep cooking in medium-low heat with frequent stirring. And another one is to add vinegar.
- Increase the amount of lemon juice if the butter is extremely sweet. The tartness of lemon juice will lessen the sweetness.
How to Make Apple Butter the Old Fashioned Way?
The Cracker Barrel apple butter and the old fashion apple butter aren’t the same. The difference comes with the apple types. To make the Cracker Barrel apple butter, you need sweet apples. However, old-fashioned apple butter requires the tart apple.
If you want to try the old-fashioned apple butter recipe, check out the instruction below-
Ingredients Your Need
- Small Sweet-Tart Apple- 12
- Apple Juice- 2 Cups
- Granulated Sugar- 2 Cups
- Cinnamon Powder- 2 Tbsp
- Allspice Powder- 1 Tsp
- Nutmeg Powder- 1 Tsp
- Cloves Powder- 1 Tsp
How to Make Old Fashion Apple Butter?
In a very simple way, you can make this recipe-
- Put a crock pot on your stove and oil it with 2 tsp of olive oil. Now put your square-cut apple pieces in it. Keep the heat low
- Add apple juice and mix well. And cook for 8 hours at low heat
- Now mash the soft apple pieces and add all the spices like cinnamon, allspice, sugar, cloves, and nutmeg powder
- Mix them well and cook for 5 more hours at low heat
- Heat off the stove and let the apple butter cool for 20 minutes
- Now pour it into the jars and store it in the refrigerator
- Your old-fashion apple butter is ready to serve
The Cracker Barrel apple butter recipe is a thick spread. It can be a good fit when you eat something dry. For example, potato wedges, corn bread etc are teh best dishes to serve with apple butter.
It comes with a sweet flavor with a hint of saltiness and spiciness. As a result, all ages of people love eating this spread with their favorite items.
You May Also Like: