There have been hundreds of cooking methods when talking about chicken. One of the most popular methods is to cook potted chicken. Making this potted chicken recipe at home will give it a different taste and flavor.
You can cook this recipe in many ways, like a potted chicken with rice, beans, butter, and many more items. However, we’ll show you how to cook potted chicken with potatoes.
It’s the tastiest recipe you’ve ever tried. This recipe is quick and time-saving. It will be even quicker if you can prepare and measure up the ingredients before start cooking. Let’s begin!
As You Read On
Potted Chicken with Potato Ingredients
You’ll require all the common and easily found ingredients to make this recipe. Here’s what you need-
Olive Oil (1 Tbsp)
This recipe requires very little cooking oil. So, 1 tbsp of olive oil will be perfect.
Chicken Thighs (12 Pieces)
You can take any part of a chicken. But we prefer taking from the thighs because it’s the most flavorful part. And keep the chicken pieces skin on and bone in. It will make a good cut of your chicken.
This part of the chicken will also take a little time to be cooked which will suit the small-size Douch Baby potatoes.
Salt & Pepper (1 Tsp)
These two spices can be more or less according to your taste. We’ll add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of black ground pepper.
Herbs De Province (2 Tbsp)
This seasoning is a mixture of oregano, thyme, rosemary, and summer savory. These herbs are grown in hilly places in Provence, French. Take herbs de Provence of 2 tbsp for this potted chicken recipe.
Choosing any type of potato is free. But, the Douch Baby potatoes are the perfect one. It comes in a perfectly small size that you can use in any recipe for any occasion.
Douch Baby potato is also nutritious because it’s well-grown in nutrient-rich volcanic soil. So, slices 340 grams of Douch Baby potatoes in half.
Flour ( 2 Tbsp)
All-purpose flour will be a good combination for this chicken recipe. You also can take plain flour. So, take 2 tbsp of flour.
You’ll have to make a broth mixture. In this case, the following ingredients will be required to arrange-
- Chicken Broth- 1 Cup
- White Wine- ¼ Cup
- Dijon Mustard – 2 Tsp
- Worcestershire Sauce – 1Tsp
Take a small bowl or pitcher and take all the broth mixture ingredients and mix them well. Keep aside while ready.
NB: If you don’t like wine to add, add ¼ more cup of chicken broth instead.
Garlic( 2 Cloves)
Take 2 cloves of garlic and mince them.
Fresh Thymes (4)
Adding fresh thymes to the sauce will surely bring a flavorful taste. So, we like taking 4 or 5 fresh thymes.
How to Cook Chicken in A Pot?
Here is the step-by-step guide to making your favorite potted chicken dish-
Take a mixing bowl and add all the mixing seasoning to it. Take salt, pepper, and herb de Provence, and whisk them all up. Season the chicken pieces with this mixture.
Heat olive oil in a pan. When the oil is warmed, place the chicken thighs on the pan skin side down. Now cook them in batches. Batch cooking is good for avoiding overcrowding and will give a smooth and hassle-free fry.
Flip up the chicken pieces when one side is golden brown. Each batch will require 10 minutes. This way cook all the pieces of chicken. And transfer them to a plate when cooked.
Your chicken is ready. This time you need to cook the potatoes. Since we’ve taken the teensy potatoes and these are small in size, you can cook them at the same heating rate as chicken.
So, in the same pan of chicken you cooked, put the potatoes with spoons of olive oil and salt, and sear them for 5 minutes. After minutes of searing, you’ll see a beautiful color. So, transfer them to a plate.
Almost all the process of cooking the potted chicken is done. And we are ready to do the final process. We’re going to place the chicken and potato on the bottom of the pan.
So, add flour to the pan and whisk with the remaining oil after searing the potatoes. Keep whisking. Once the paste is formed, keep cooking for 1 minute.
It’s now the very time to add the broth mixture. Add the mixture with flour paste and keep stirring. Make sure they are mixing all together. Keep whisking for 5 minutes at pretty high heat. High heat is required to activate the flour.
Keep noticing if the edge of the sauce starts boiling because at that time you have to lower the heat. Add minced garlic and thymes. Now keep sitting at medium-low heat and let the sauce thicken.
Once the sauce is thickened finely, get back to your cooked potatoes and place them on the pan of chicken.
When the chicken pieces begin to release the juice, you need to add the chicken pieces. Now place them on top of the potatoes in the oven at 325° F for 40 minutes long.
Spoon a little bit of sauce over the chicken pieces to make them more juicy right before you serve. Your potted chicken recipe is ready.
NB: You can either place the potatoes on the bottom or on top of the chicken. All it makes the difference is the dish’s appearance, not in taste.
Best Side Dishes to Serve With
- Gluten-Free Bread
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Carrot Slaw
- French Fries
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Fried Okra
Potted Chicken Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 12 Pieces Chicken Thighs
- 1 Tsp Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Herbs de Province
- 340 Grams Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup White Wine
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Fresh Thymes
- Mix salt, pepper, and herb de Provence, and whisk them all up into a mixing bowl .
- Season the chicken pieces with this mixture.
- Warm olive oil on a pan and, place the chicken thighs skin side down.
- Flip up the chicken pieces when one side is golden brown.
- Each batch will require 10 minutes.
- Now cook the potatoes at the same rate as the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add flour to the pan and whisk with the remaining oil after searing the potatoes, keep whisking for 1 minute.
- This time, add the broth mixture with flour paste and keep stirring for 5 minutes at pretty high heat.
- Keep noticing if the edge of the sauce starts boiling because at that time you have to lower the heat.
- Add minced garlic and thymes. And stir slowly at medium-low heat and let the sauce thicken.
- Place the cooked potatoes on the pan of chicken.
- When the chicken pieces begin to release the juice, you need to add the chicken pieces on top of the potatoes.
- Now put the pan on the oven at 325° F for 40 minutes long.
- Your dish is ready.
- If you want a crispy texture to your chicken pieces, coat them in slight bacon.
- Using brine in the chicken before frying will make them more flavorful.
- Season the chicken pieces more precisely before frying.
- To make the potted chicken recipe, the thigh part of a chicken is the best. Taking other parts won’t give that juice texture.
- If you want to tenderize your chicken, use the velveting method.
The most wonderful kids-approved dish is the potted chicken recipe. You can enlist this recipe to your menu to adjust your busy schedule. From occasion to any party arrangement, this recipe goes perfectly.
However, we suggest not keeping it in your regular menus. Because potted chicken is high in cholesterol, fat, salt, and also sodium. So, it can be an ideal dish only when you serve it occasionally.